Did you know October is National Pizza Month?! Even though we don’t need an excuse to break out the grill, we know you are going to love this grilled pizza recipe. We will share our tips and tricks to make each grilled pizza your own; crispy crust, thick crust, veggie pizza, meat lovers, you name it! You will even learn how to make pizza dough from scratch! Grab your favorite pizza toppings, cheese, and sauce! Let’s grill some pizza!
Grilled Pizza Dough
Sure, you could just buy some pizza dough from the grocery store, but you’d be surprised how much better your pizza will taste using dough made from scratch. The recipe below will make 1lb of dough, which can be divvied out any way you like. We split ours into four 10″ pizzas.
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 packet (1/4oz) active dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tsps of extra-virgin olive oil (have extra for bowl and brushing)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to your taste
- 2-1/4 cups of bread flour or all-purpose flour (have extra for work surface)
- Pour 1 cup of warm water into a medium bowl; add sugar and sprinkle with yeast
- Let stand until foamy (about 5 minutes)
- Whisk oil and tsp of salt into the yeast mixture
- Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid is incorporated (dough will appear dry)
- Spread some of your extra flour onto a work surface, and flip the dough out of the bowl onto the floured area
- Knead until dough comes together in an elastic ball (about 2 minutes)
- Transfer to an oiled medium bowl; brush lightly with your extra oil
- Cover the bowl and plastic wrap; set in a warm, draft-free place until your dough has doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes)
- Punch down your dough and cover; let rise another 30 minutes
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 4 equal parts (Let rest for 15 minutes before using)
Prepare Your Grill
Make sure to clean your grill grates thoroughly before cooking your pizza. If you don’t plan on using a pizza stone, brush some oil on the grates so your crust doesn’t stick.
We used a pellet grill to prepare our pizzas, but any grill will work. Below, you will find tips on preparing other grill types for perfect grilled pizzas:
Gas Grill: Warm the entire grill to your desired heat. Then, shut off half of the burners. Your pizza should be cooked on the off side so it won’t burn.
Add Your Toppings
The “pizza-bilities” are endless!
Okay, that might’ve been a bit corny, but you can really go crazy with your pizza toppings. Below are some ideas to get you started:
Traditional: Pepperoni, Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce
Veggie: Green peppers, onions, tomato, olives, parmesan cheese, light pizza sauce
Breakfast Pizza: Eggs, bacon, breakfast sausage, white gravy sauce
Hawaiian: Pineapple, sliced ham, bacon, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce
On average, a grilled pizza will cook in about 20 minutes.
If you made your dough from scratch, cook the dough about 5 minutes on each side before adding your sauce and toppings. Then, cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Pizza is a party favorite, a family staple, and one delicious meal! Share your grilled pizza success stories on our Facebook page or in the comments section below!
For more grilling recipes, tips, and more, make sure to visit us every other Friday for Grilling Adventures!
You Might Also Like::