A lingering cough can make you feel absolutely miserable, and you probably want to get rid of it as fast as you can. Look for ways to soothe a dry cough into oblivion. For a wet cough, the quickest way to get rid of your cough in the long run actually involves bringing up more mucus faster. No matter what type of cough you have, however, there are a few common tactics you should use to put an end to your misery faster. Here are a few of the most beneficial.
Drink warm, clear fluids. Hydration is important for wet and dry coughs alike. Aim for the equivalent of eight 8 oz (250 ml) glasses of water per day, at least while you suffer from your cough.
- If you have difficulty drinking that water, clear or light juice, like apple juice, could be mixed in, as well.
- For wet coughs, hydration thins out the mucus causing your cough, thereby weakening it and helping you to get rid of it.
- For dry coughs, hydration allows you to keep your mucous membranes moist, thereby preventing the throat dryness that leads to most dry coughs.
- Note that this is the only treatment you should use for children between the ages of three months and one year. Only give the child 1 to 3 tsp (5 to 15 ml) of clear liquid up to four times per day.
- Some studies suggest that honey is as effective as a cough suppressant as dextromethorphan, an ingredient commonly used in many over-the-counter cough suppressants.
- One option is to take the honey directly. Try 2 tsp (10 ml) every few hours while your cough persists.
- Another option is to add 2 tsp (10 ml) or more to a glass of warm tea with lemon.
- Do not give honey to children under the age of 1, though, since it could increase the risk of infant botulism.
Enjoy a piece of hard candy. If you do not have any cough drops on hand or would prefer to stay away from medicated lozenges, you can usually soothe and stop a cough by sucking on a piece of hard candy.
- A dry cough that produces no phlegm can be halted by nearly any piece of hard candy. Hard candy causes you to produce more saliva and to swallow more, thereby suppressing your cough.
- If you have a wet cough that does produce phlegm, lemon drops tend to work well.
- We recommend Claeys Horehound Hard Candy SKU: 046930105
You Might Also Like::